vrijdag 6 juli 2012

Bonnet stitch

The TAST stitch for week 27 is bonnet stitch. Before I started stitching, I flipped through my embroidery books to see if this stitch was in one of them. This time I found a stitch called bonnet stitch that didn’t look quite the same as the one Sharon showed us, but I couldn’t pin-point the difference. That’s why I stitched both versions next to each other. At the left side the bonnet stitch I found in Mary Thomas’s Dictionary Of Embroidery Stitches, at the right the bonnet stitch Sharon showed us on Pin Tangle. I like them both, but prefer the rhythm of the left one.
This is how I stitched it. The thread goes from bottom to top under the needle, so it twists the other way.
The second part of the stitch. It's only different because it has a different twist in the first part of the stitch.
These are my experiments of the bonnet stitch from Mary Thomas’s Dictionary Of Embroidery Stitches on this sampler. First a double mirrored row with perle 8.
Then a double row of shifted mirrored bonnet stitches in perle 12.
And another double row of shifted mirrored bonnet stitches in perle 5. It has a nice diamond shape between the rows.
The double rows would be nice for couching thread or decorated with beads. I’m not going to do that on this sampler, because now it’s easy to see how I stitched it if I want to duplicate it again. There’s a photo of this unfinished Aida sampler on my Flickr-page.

7 opmerkingen:

  1. This is such a great help! thank you so much! your work is beautiful - and with the photos and your explanation, going to give the bonnet stitch a try :) thank you! and thank you sharonb!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. good example of the bonnet and great instructions, I rather liked the stitch and yes like you thought it would work well with beads one day!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Thank you so much for this! I've tried and ripped three times. I planned to give it one last go today. Your closeup pictures help a lot. The Mary Thomas book is also my main go-to resource and I hadn't yet figured out it was different from Sharon's directions. I'm keeping up with the TAST stitches on a very small scale, but not with photographing and posting. A week goes by way too fast!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. your sampler is great. the photos are also very clear. superb work. thanks.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. These examples are a great help in understanding this stitch. I had the hardest time figuring out if the thread is wrapped 2 or 3 time around the body of the stitch. Your example looks like 2.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. I used Mary Thomas stitch it was a lot easier like the way you have put them back to back.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. I found your tute via Susie W's photostream. I like your examples of the stitch. It appears more like a chain stitch and sits in a neater fashion. The 5th example is lovely

    Thanks for blogging the Mary Thomas version.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen